Bouncing Around

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Chauisimo BsAs - Te Echo un Gracias

Oye erebody - 3.5 days and counting till I hop on that double decker bus to nowhere, leaving the increasingly humid but increasingly unrepeatable ciudad known as Buenos Aires. I am moving around quickly these next few days getting gifts, eating all the food I won't taste for a long while (choripan - empanadas:pollo/humita - non-saucey pizza - locro - and of course medialunas (small, awesome egg/sugar croissants) and pretty much just aimlessly walking around the city that I have grown to call home.

My feelings right now are mixed as such:

Remorse - There is still so much more of Argentina for me to know, and I am sad to leave all of the people that have made my time here so damn, perfect. Friends I may not see for months, years or a lifetime; unless I of course take a global trip in 2018 and make it to Europe, back to South America and Southeast Asia. For that I am sad to leave, I really have a grasp for this city now and it's nice to have a niche and know where and what you're doing. Plus I've only been working about 18 hours a week for the past 6 weeks, I doubt I'll find that anywhere too soon. And the food and cheap beer. A liter of beer is 4 pesos at the mercado, 1 u$d. Come on.

Excited - I'm bout to embark on a pretty indepth and not too commonly traveled route Northwest through South America, and I'll have one of my good friends from Colorado to accompany me, Brent Thrash (adventurous Texan). We depart on Sunday and move Northwest through Argentina - then cross into Bolivia where we will hit up both lake Titticaca and the Bolivian Amazon in Rurrenburque. Then out of La Paz I'll fly solo to Cartagena, Colombia, then Medellin, then Bogota. Finally on the 19th of December I'll fly to NYC to meet mi hermana then to Chicago for christmas. Lots of traveling, a good 3 weeks to do it, and my entire November salary to make me enjoy it. It will be like nothing I've ever done. The longest trip I've done before this was from Sevilla, Spain = East through France, Italy and Greece. But I have a feeling that western Europe may be a tad different then Bolivian jungle and Colombian mega-cities. Anyway, for this I am truly pumped, and a tid bit nervous cause we have one important train to catch in Bolivia. If we miss it we're on really, really shitty (deserving swear) buses through the unpaved outback of southern Bolivia. Other than that though it's all good, we have enough buffer time to really enjoy the trip.

Relieved - 11 months, thats how long I'll have been here. It was great, it was fun, I learned about 15 things on top of another language, the most important being that if you're happy and patient you can make a living anywhere, but I'm glad to come home too. Where things make sense, I can get free cracked pepper on my sandwich and I have 5 options for a burrito within a 2 mile radius. For this, I am relieved to be returning, in all my self imposed glory, back home.

Hungry - Did someone say burritos.

Okay, there's a lot more I think I want to say but that should pretty much cover the major points. Look above for a really un-in-depth map of the trip I'll be taking or for a dated/picture-full and cool version go to this link.

A Drawn out Peace Out

1 comment:

  1. Pay good attention. I'm going to need your input when deciding on South American students for EPSOT. Can't wait for Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete